Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Day - 66 Happy Birthday to Oreo Cookies

Happy Birthday to the Oreo cookie, it turns 100 years old today. I remember my Uncle Jimmy, also my Godfather, showing me the correct way to separate the cookies so you could get to the creamy filling. He taught me that you should never try to pull them apart, instead try a little twist, then lift - and voila the one cookie is suddenly two, and just prime for licking off  all the luscious deliciousness of the center, or better yet, scraping it across your front teeth and depositing what seemed to be a giant glop of center sweetness right onto your tongue. I remember taking those cookies, sans center, and dunking them into milk and stuffing them into my mouth while trying not to drip milk down my chin.
I don't know when I outgrew Oreos, but I did. I cannot remember the last time I ate one. This past holiday season, I made truffles and mint Oreo cookies was one of the main ingredients and I did not eat one of them, not even tempted. But they did make the best chocolate dipped mint chocolate truffle. Quite a hit this past season.
Congratulations to the Oreo, as it has survived 100 years and is going strong. Not too many brands can say that. I think Oreos and Hershey bars (something else I outgrew) bring back nothing but fond memories for me. Not too often a brand can do that. Long live both!

No comments:

Post a Comment